Saturday, February 5, 2011

Blog #3- Colors and Emotions

1. Describe Color and it's effects on emotions. Use the appropriate vocabulary of color in your posting.

Various studeies have demonstrated that color affects a wide range of psychological and physiological responses. The color red is believed to increase appetite. Blue surroundings will significantly lower a person's blood pressure, pulse and respiration. The color "passive pink" has a calming effect on people.

2. What is a theoretical aspect of color that most intrigues/fascinates you? Why?

The theoretical aspect of color that most intrigues me is that the color red is believed to increase appetite and therefore food consumption. That is said to be why many restaurants will choose red as their main color. I had always heard that color may affect emotions and physiological responses but I never knew specifics about each color. After learning this, I had reflected on places I go to eat at and realized that most of the restaurants or fast food places I have been to, do indeed have alot of red color all around.

3. In the Color video, what made the biggest impact on you in regards to color and it's effects on emotions?

In the color video, at one point Junaw was back in London trying to paint what she saw in Venice, and she had used alot of dark reds and oranges for the building on the left with the man outside of it on the boat. When they first showed this, I felt like the left side of the painting was violent. I didn't feel good and I almost felt worried for the man on the boat in the painting. Right after that, June herself has said the same thing.

4. In the Feelings video, what made the biggest impact on you in regards to color and it's effects on emotions? 

In the feelings video, Goya's paintings jumped out at me the most. The paintings from when he was in his mid 40s and later were extremely dark and "devilish." They were very scary to me, the people within the paintings looked like they were dead and trapped. The freedom was completely gone and there was no light left. These paintings had a very heavy darkness to them, and seemed to be very violent. I could feel the misery of the people withint the paintings.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved the variety and quality of the photos you chose to use for this project. I like the artistic perspective you have. Some people cannot see the further than the image itself. I think you did an excellent job of choosing interesting content that applied to the elements/principles.

    ReplyDelete