Saturday, April 9, 2011

Art Exploration- Mask Creation


- This is a picture of me, my mom and my friend in New Orleans with 3 examples of masks in the New Orleans culture. These masks are purple, red and blue. They were a plastic material on a wooden stick to hold. They all had glitter, jewels and feathers on them.
- These masks use texture with the use of feathers, jewels and glitter. Also, color since the masks add emphasis by drawing our attention to the face. These masks also add variety because they are all appear the same but have slight differences.
- I chose this picture as an inspiration piece because I love the masks found in New Orleans. I love the colors and the use of feathers and glitter.



- This is a mask from Bolivia. This is an interesting piece. It is a human face that has very large eyes and eyelashes, red eyebrows and colorful horns. Also, the mask uses color, alot of different colors like purple, blue/green, yellow etc. It has emphasis by drawing attention to the eyes and the horns. It uses texture by adding feathers and everything that is on the mask is on 3D. I liked this mask because it was very unique and I loved the variety in colors.


This mask is a Venetian masks. Its made from glass. It has a fabric crown with bells and is hand painted. This mask has color and it uses different shade of red, yellow and black. It has texture because the crown and collar come out from the mask and also this mask has space with the bells hanging off of it. This mask is an inspiration to me because I like the colors used and the crown. It looks very elegant.


My Mask:





With my mask I used color and texture in my finished work. I used clay to create the mask so I had mixed red,blue, green and yellow clay to get a tie-die look. I formed it to my moms face to make it 3D and you can see the texture of the clay and layers.

I enjoyed this project creating a mask. I had this idea in my mind of what I wanted to do but because I had limited resources the execution was not exactly what I planned. However I like how the tie-die came out and looks.

Here is my Sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment