Friday, March 11, 2011

Week 7- Video Reviews

1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
Video 1- Prairie Style
I learned about Frank Lloyd Wright and his "new" design of prairie style homes. Also, how Wright used an open floor plan which was rare for that era. Also, how Wright designed the homes based off of the elements ex: the sun follows the house throughout the day and was planned to shine in during certain time of the day.

Video 2- Architecture: The Science of Design
I learned how architects create skyscrappers and test them against wind speeds to make sure they can withstand them. I also learned how they use concrete and how they reinforce concrete since it can be brittle.

Video 3- Classical Architecture
I learned about the becoming of architecture throughout Greece and Rome, how it all was "started" as an artform. Also how they used the elements and principles within the architecture.

Video 4- Frank Gehry: Architecture as Art
I learned how Gehry evokes emotional responses from the viewers with his buildings. I liked how Gehry talked about how buildings evolve over time depending on how they have been used and taken care of, the buildings purpose; because as we previously learned that all buildings are created to serve a purpose. Frank Gehry attempts to form a connection between the buildings, culture, and art history.


2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
All of these videos give us real life examples to help us better understand what we have already read. By watching the videos we can see what we read come to life in a way and see how architecture techniques and technology have changed over time, and at the same time we still use some of the original techniques, styles.

3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of Architecture?

Similar to what I talked about in the quesiton above, The films help me better understand what I have read. While reading the text book it is hard to picture a building actually being built, how they are planned, the actually process behind it and then actually built. By watching the videos it gives me a better understanding of how architectures think and look at the buildings they create in a very artistic way. Everything they do while building has a purpose.

4. From the group of four that you had a choice: Why did you choose that film?

I chose to watch Frank Gehry: Architecture as Art, because I am interested in the art and creativity behind architecture. I love seeing original custom homes, and I find it interesting to see how an architecture creates a building that does evoke emotions and create human responses; what the logic and process is behind creating such a building.

No comments:

Post a Comment