Friday, March 25, 2011

Week 9- Video Reviews- Blog

1. I chose to watch The Drawings of Michelangelo because I enjoy his work. I also chose Leonardo da Vinci because he is one of my favorite artists. I chose to watch Albrecht Durer: Image of a Master because I really never heard of him before and I was interested in learning more. The final video I chose to watch was Velazquez growing up but I never new what it was.

2. In The Drawings of Michelangelo, it was interesting to see how Michelangelo would sketch to get an idea of the space and shapes. He was able to show volume and mass in his drawings. Since he is also a sculptor in his drawings, he makes the men looked chiseled. This video did a good job showing Michenlangelo's tools and techniques he used and how great of an artist he really was.
In the video Leonardo da Vinici, it really gave me insight into his life and how he grew to be one of the most famous artists in our history. I did not know he studied so many subjects and he really is considered a "Renaissance man".
In Albrecht Durer: Image of a master, this video really showed us how Durer was a great artist and gave me a better idea of what art was like in Northern Renaissance. He comes from a line of type of artists, his father was a goldsmith and his godfather was a publisher and printer. He had many influences in his life.
The final video, Velazquez I found interesting. I didn't even realize that Velazquez was a person until watching this video. He could really paint the emotions of the royals. He also painted Greek Mythology which was rare for a spanish artists. He ended up one of the greatest painters from Spain.

3. The videos relate to the text because they really explained the lives the artists had during the times periods we read about in the book for example middle ages with the gothic arts, early renaisaance, high renaissance etc. We were able to see the influences from the period and how the artists grew to be famous artist.

4. These films give me a greater understanding to the concepts I read about because I was able to see a different side of the artists, where they came from, how they grew up wiithin that time period and what was going on in the world at that time. It gives complemetary additional information in a more entertaining way that helps me actually see and visualize everything instead of just reading about it in a book and visualizing it in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment